Seems everyone was saying that second base is such a deeply talented position for 2018. There is lots of talent but the gap between the first tier and the rest of the best is huge. It kinda feels like being on a game show where there is a giant car sized prize box in front of you. You must decide whether to take the $15,000 cash prize or whats in the box. Now because the box is the size of a car there is a chance of the contents being a Jaguar or at least a Kia or something. Ignoring the odds that it could also just be a giant turd sandwich, you pick the mystery box. The crowd of senior citizen hecklers in the studio audience made you succumb to their peer pressure.
If your opting for a tier one kinda guy just be sure you believe you are getting what you paid for. Altuve is the only “unicorn” at this position.
Here are my top 10 players under the age of 30 at second base.
- Jose Altuve, 27, Astros – My projections for 2018 are – .309/98/18/76/39
- Whit Merrifield, 29, Royals – My projections for 2018 are – .273/72/17/70/31
- Jonathon Schoop, 26, Orioles – My Projections for 2018 are – .276/87/29/94/1
- Rougned Odor, 24, Rangers – My projections for 2018 are – .256/84/32/82/15
- Javier Baez, 25, Cubs – My projections for 2018 are – .262/90/28/90/12
- Ozzie Albies, 21, Braves – My projections for 2018 are – .273/72/14/62/22
- Jedd Gyorko, 29, Cardinals – My projections for 2018 are – .253/57/22/74/7
- D.J. LeMahieu, 29, Rockies – My projections for 2018 are – .310/86/8/58/13
- Yoan Moncada, 22, Red Sox – My projections for 2018 are – .237/62/16/56/27
- Cesar Hernandez, 27, Phillies – My projections for 2018 are – .274/76/8/37/16